The general format for writing academic writing task 2/ IELTS Essay is as follows:
Introduction + your opinion/ your thinking/ your point of view/ whether you agree or disagree/ main advantages or disadvantages. +
2nd paragraph with example, explanation, evidence and extra details. +
3rd paragraph with example, explanation, evidence and extra details. +
4th paragraph with example, explanation, evidence and extra details. +
Conclusion + Restating the main point of your discussion/ your position on the issue.
Vocabulary for the Introduction Part:
In the introduction part of your IETLS essay you should write sentences relevant to the topic given and generally accepted ideas about it. Use your best English here as it will attract or bore your reader about the whole writing. You will make or break your impression in this paragraph. Be very cautious about the introduction part. Never just copy the sentence of the question. If you really need to, use synonyms and different sentence structure.
1) Mobile phone and Internet are two great innovation of science for communication and had been facilitating people for a long time. These two technologies are widely used in almost all the countries of the world and had become parts of our daily lives. We can’t deny the usefulness of these technologies as they had made our life easier than it was ever before. In my opinion the advantages of these two devices far outweigh the demerits they have.
2) Every human being with an ambition of getting higher knowledge requires attending colleges or universities. The main reason of attending universities or colleges may differ man to man. Someone may aspire to achieve greater knowledge, someone may just want to earn a certificate or someone might attribute it as a step towards career development.
3) Compared with people in the past, we concern far less on the preparation of food today, thanks to the development of agriculture and scientific technology. A fair amount of beneficial influence is occurring to us consequently.
Vocabulary for the opinion Part:
According to the essay types (Learn what are the IELTS essay types) use one of the following connective words/ linking phrases to write down your opinion However remember that if the question does not ask you to give your opinion but to compare advantages and disadvantages, then you should not strongly express your opinion. Opinion should only be written for opinion essays.
In my opinion……
I strongly opine that……..
I strongly agree with the idea that…….
I strongly disagree with the given topic….
My opinion is that…..
In my view…..
According to me…..
From my point of view…..
From my perspective…..
To my way of thinking…..
It seems to me that…..
It appears that…..
I feel that…..
1) But in my opinion, giving the access of mobile phone & internet to each and every unemployed person is a matter of great dispute. I believe, this idea can help the countries who have sufficient funds for the whole fiscal year and already adopted technologies like internet for a very long period. But this might turn out as a complete loss for an undeveloped country.
2) I believe, parents are always teaching us in many ways intentionally and unintentionally; however vocal guidelines and acting in daily bases activities are the ways of the life experience knowledge transfer regardless different culture, language, facilities or economy level of the family.
3) I strongly agree with the idea that the gender issue is only a determinant in the battle of the sexes, not the battles among nations and peoples. It is therefore impertinent, if not irrational, to conclude that world conflicts result from the rule of a particular gender and the finer sex would do a better job at prevailing peace if selectively put at the helm of human nations.
Vocabulary for the 2nd paragraph Part:
It is true that…..
First of all…..
To begin with…..
To start with…..
In the first place…..
Though it is true that…..
Some people believe that…..
Many people think that…..
According to many…..
Some people believe that…..
Many support the view that…..
On the one hand…..
1) It is true that, an unemployed persons having a mobile phone with internet connection can get more access to the local and foreign job sectors and can use these technologies to get a job or become self-employed.
2) First of all, the maximum numbers of cars are owned by the rich people and fuel price would not restrain them from using the cars. The price of fuel in fact increased significantly over the past 12 years and that has done nothing to reduce the car usages.
3) To begin, houses that are being constructed by those in the lower income groups do look at the most cost effective option. In the process they invariably explore cheaper options that include a compromise on material and construction quality.
Vocabulary for the 3rd, 4th …… paragraph Part:
Other people think that…..
Other people believe that…..
On the other hand…..
Apart from that…..
1) Besides, unemployed persons living in urban areas; can easily get the information related to the job-offering companies with these technologies……………. Furthermore, the use of these technology give them advantages than others…….
2) Besides, people would learn more about the outer space as the experiment and scientific research is outer space is going on more steadily than ever.
3) Apart from that, Computers would become more powerful and they will have superior artificial intelligence. We will have robots to do the hazardous works like mining and outer space research. Surprisingly, e-commerce would be in more convenient form and most of the people will purchase online rather than going to shops in person.
Vocabulary to show comparison:
In the same way…..
Like the previous point…..
At the same time…..
1) Similarly, all the companies and offices are becoming automated and using computers, internet and other technologies vastly than any other time in history…….
2) At the same time software could used for many purposes such as learning through computers, accounting in computers, drawing, storage of information, sending information from one person to other person etc.
3) Also reading books is like peeking into the minds of the greatest people — A book is like a conversation with the writer and reading many books gives us an insight into the thinking process of different writers.
Vocabulary to show contrast:
On the other hand…..
On the contrary…..
In contrast to this…..
On the other hand…..
1) On the contrary, poor countries suffer from the lack of sufficient budgets to ensure some very basic needs of people like health, education, medicines etc. Then again, those countries don’t have a chance to spend a lot of money to initiate a superficial project……..
2) Unlike a TV, a radio cannot display an image or a video, and the communication is limited to voice only. Typically, a radio is used for access information such as news and live traffic updates………
3) In contrast to this, the consumption of fuels to run the car is contributing to the rise if global warming and affecting the ozone layer. So, using bicycle in cities would be a better alternative………
Vocabulary to show an example:
As an example…..
To show an example…..
As an evidence…..
1) For instance, there is no guaranty that all unemployed person will use the technology positively……..
2) As an example, many Government of the first world countries have initiated other projects like:………
3) For example, if a public bus gets busted in the middle of a road, the passenger can easily leave it a look for another one.
Vocabulary to show consequence, effects or result:
As a result…..
As an effect…..
The reason why…..
For this reason…..
1) Therefore, we should avoid using our budget in an uncertain project……..
2) As a result, people are struggling much to lead a healthy and secure life………
3) Consequently, local residents will be able to find more job opportunities in this factory and have a better socio-economic status………
Vocabulary to sum up:
To sum up…..
In a word…..
To put it simply…..
That is to say…..
1) In a word, I think , the idea can be very useful for the developing countries but for us, it might be a sinister………
2) That is to say, we must ensure the safety of our children first………
3) In short, overall infrastructure of the area will develope.
N.B. The above vocabulary are speacifically useful while finishing a paragraph. You can use these words/ phrases to re-state your topic of the paragraph.
Vocabulary to make a point strong:
1) Although, Parents are important teachers in our lives and none can deny their invaluable role to make us what we are, but they aren’t always the best teachers…….
2) Thus air and water pollution caused by this factory will ruin the local environment and wildlife fundamentally………
3) Although industrialization is necessary for growth, but it must be regulated. The proper measures must be in place to reduce the negative impacts of byproducts on environment.
Other transitional words / connective words:
As soon as…..
As much as…..
1) They take care of the children as much as parents do………………
2) As soon as we realize the problem ………………
3) Otherwise, the unemployed graduates’ number will keep on increasing………………
Vocabulary for the conclusion part:
To conclude with…..
To sum up…..
All in all,
On the whole…..
In a nut Shell…..
1) In general, even though it is preferable to study English in an English-speaking country, a reasonable level of English can be achieved in one’s own country, if a student is gifted and dedicated to study.
2) To sum up, if the population explosion continues, many more people will die of starvation in poor countries, and life in the cities, even in affluent nations, will become increasingly difficult.
3) To conclude, I recommend that the only sensible way to solve this problem is to educate young people about the dangers of drug use, and to take steps to reduce the pressure of competition placed upon them.
4) In conclusion, nuclear technology certainly has positive uses but is nonetheless dangerous. However, it would have been better if it had never been used to create nuclear weapons. If life on Earth is to continue, all the nuclear nations of the world should agree to disarm as soon as possible.
N.B. The conclusion part of the IELTS Essay or IELTS Academic writing task 2 usually begins with a special concluding phrase that links it to the rest of the essay. Notice that a conditional sentence can be very effective in the conclusion. One reason for this is that it can refer to what might occur as a result of your suggestions or recommendations. Of course, you can use conditional sentences elsewhere in your essay as well. If you do use conditionals, be sure that the construction of your sentences is grammatically correct.
Also, in a short essay of approximately 250 words the conclusion can be just one or two sentences long. The conclusion should briefly sum up what you have said in your essay, and does not usually contribute a new idea, unless it is a minor point. However, it is a good place to make recommendations or suggestions, or to give advice and offer solutions, if you are asked to do so.